Bunim/Murray Productions is an Emmy Award-winning production company widely credited with creating the reality television genre. Their impressive programming resume includes The Real World, Road Rules, and Keeping Up with the Kardashians, among others. In 2017, Bunim/Murray’s need to streamline operations, expand their infrastructure, and consolidate their (3) separate production facilities led them to undertake a massive shell-in restoration of a former collegiate campus in Glendale, CA.
• Retrofit and expand two buildings from shell inwards.
• Future-proof design by including capacity for expansion & bandwidth upgrade-ability.
• Design & install robust cabling infrastructure that allows for open ceilings and open floorplan.
• Utilize non-plenum cabling and strategic conduit placement whenever possible to control costs.
• Perform cabling installation concurrent with building construction & floor refinishing teams.
COLLABORATION & STRATEGY
Bunim/Murray’s preference for large, open spaces and exposed ceilings presented unique cabling infrastructure limitations, given the significant amount of technical cabling required to support more than 400 editors. MIZZEN designed and implemented a sophisticated conduit plan was which utilized clever conduit placement, in-floor trenching, and underfloor cable routing to realize Bunim/Murray’s aesthetic vision for the space while meeting the necessary technical requirements.
Bunim/Murray’s workflow demands rapid, collaborative editing of high-quality video on tight deadlines, which makes fast access to shared data storage a necessity. A flexible, expandable fiber interconnect mesh was designed to link the two adjacent buildings of the new campus with the centralized high-performance storage systems located in the primary machine room. This design provides real-time access to editorial storage, and to the live camera feeds from the two on-prem insert stages, from all offices and conference rooms throughout the facility.
Bunim/Murray’s 150,000 sq. ft. turn-key facility integration was completed in 2017. This included the equipment and cabling infrastructure for (348) video editing bays, (7) finishing bays, (10) audio editing / mix bays, 2 x 5.1 audio mix bays, a TV-show stage, a Master Control Room, office spaces & conference rooms, and (2) DI theaters that serve as hybrid screening theaters or sound-mix stages. System highlights include:
• 450+ AVID editorial seats
• Redundant Arista 100GB switches that link AVID editors to AVID Nexis storage
• 40 Gbit networking backbone spanning multiple buildings
• 50 Tb/s main networking core backplane
Hundreds of editors regularly cut down thousands of hours of footage daily to reliably create and transmit new programming from the facility. MIZZEN has been retained by Bunim/Murray on an ongoing basis as their technical support team, and to perform facility upgrades for additional editing bays and workstations. Bunim/Murray has won numerous awards and industry accolades, including Primetime and Daytime Emmys, TV Guide Awards, New York Festival Medals as well as People’s Choice, Critics Choice and Teen Choice Awards.