TYT Network, a progressive multi-channel network, was the first online talk show to stream daily and is now the nation’s largest online news and talk network. A surge in 2017 to 4.2 million subscribers and 50 million monthly views required a broadcast platform expansion to incorporate 24x7x365 broadcast capabilities along with upgraded broadcast, edit, server and control rooms.
• Transition start-up-style workflow to professional 24x7x365 on-air broadcast-level workflow.
• Upgrade technology infrastructure to facilitate launch of 24/7 YouTube Channel.
• Expand server room size by 500%, transition archival system offsite, and integrate other full-scale system upgrades during 24x7x365 broadcasts with no broadcast downtime.
COLLABORATION & STRATEGY
MIZZEN was selected to design and integrate a turn-key broadcast facility solution to meet TYT’s growth challenges. MIZZEN produced a comprehensive design package that detailed TYT’s new 24x7x365 production, post-production, live-streaming and broadcasting workflows. Acoustical testing was performed and specifications produced for a world-class broadcast QC booth. The cabling infrastructure design required customized cable pathways, electrical boxes, and cable trays to support the 500% increase in server room size. An integration and transition plan was also developed for TYT’s construction vendors to identify construction dependencies and guarantee system functionality throughout the integration. The 2-month integration (including the transition to an off-site archival system) took place during 24x7x365 broadcasts, highlighted by a 2-day cutover to the new system.
TYT’s turn-key solution, which replaced their old broadcast infrastructure in its entirety, was successfully deployed with zero broadcast downtime and full system functionality. Their new system features include:
• Video workflow to support two TV studios and two video control rooms.
• Post-production workflow w/ fully-redundant shared storage for up to 96 on-site editors and unlimited remote editors.
• New Broadcast QC bay with system-wide video & audio analytical capabilities, acoustically treated for zero standing waves and a +/- 6dB accuracy.
• 24x7x365 on-air broadcasting and live-streaming workflows.
• 144 x 144 squared router.
• Simultaneous live stream and broadcasting to Sirius XM through private network.
By implementing a structured cabling infrastructure designed and installed to 4k military-grade cable specifications, the system’s reliability and ease-of-use has sizeably reduced system maintenance and troubleshooting for TYT’s staff, allowing their team to focus on expanding their revenue-producing offerings. Along with the successful launch of their 24/7 YouTube Channel in 2018, TYT has added a 24-hour feed on Hulu, Roku, and Pluto TV.
Since project completion, TYT has increased their average monthly viewership across all online platforms to 200 million. According to the most recent comScore ratings, TYT ranks #1 in News and Politics on all digital platforms among the millennial audience (18-24), and most recently won the Audience Honor for Overall YouTube Presence in the 2018 Shorty Awards, as well as the Webby People’s Voice Award for News and Politics – Series.
Culver City, CA